Monday, December 24, 2007

The Brief History of Heavy Metal According to My Father

(The Scene: I'm wrapping Christmas gifts in the living room, listening to the Time Warner Cable "Arena Rock" station on the surround sound when my dad enters, drinking a beer at 10:30 in the morning. Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is playing for some reason.)

Dad: Oh man, I used to love Yes. They were one of my favorite bands.
Me: Really?
Dad: Way back when, Yes was like, for a lot of people, their first step towards heavy metal.
Me: Yes? Yes was the first step towards metal?
Dad: Oh yeah, "Owner of a Lonely Heart?" That's like, where Motely Crue and all of them got their ideas from.
Me: Maybe "A Flock of Seagulls" and "Asia"....
Dad: What's wrong with Yes?
Me: Nothing, ... I mean, the 80's were a confusing time for a lot of people. People were doing a lot of coke and listening to gender-bending musicians back then. No one blames you. But to say that.... a band like .... Yes, were the stepping stones to metal.... dad, you need to lay off the pipe.
Dad: I had their tape.... it doesn't make me gay....

No comments: